The Polk County Bar Association partners with ARAG each year to give Polk County area students a chance to get creative with the law as part of our annual Law Day celebration. Students in grades K through 12 are invited to compete in the visual arts, music, essay and poetry categories.
Law Day has been celebrated since 1958 when President Dwight Eisenhower signed the proclamation declaring it a day to celebrate and strengthen the American heritage of liberty, justice and equality under the law.
The American Bar Association chooses a theme for Law Day to help foster education and a deeper understanding of the legal system. This year’s theme, Separation of Powers: Framework for Freedom, enables students to reflect on the interplay of our government’s three distinct and independent branches of government set out in the U.S. Constitution – Congress, the Presidency, and a Supreme Court.
All students in grades K-12 in the Polk County area are welcome and encouraged to participate in the annual PCBA-ARAG contest. Click on the links below for complete details and entry forms:
How you can become a Law Day sponsor
For just $100, you or your firm can sponsor a Law Day competition winning student. In addition to the goodwill generated, sponsorship includes a variety of perks. For example, for the first time this year, sponsors or their designee, will be able to present the students with their awards during the ceremony, which will be held on May 1 in the courtroom of the Iowa Supreme Court. Sponsors will also be recognized in the written program and receive a photograph with their sponsored student. And, sponsors are invited to network with students during a lunch in the Light Court prior to the awards ceremony. In addition to the awards presentation, the Law Day observance will include special guest speakers from the judiciary, legislative, and executive branch. Click here for details.
Past Law Day Celebrations
- Download the Awards ceremony Powerpoint presentation
- Download the Luncheon program and see the entries
- See the photo album
- Download the Awards Luncheon PowerPoint presentation
- Download the Awards Luncheon program and see the winning entries
- See the photo album
- View photos of the 2014 Law Day winners and awards banquet
- View the PowerPoint presentation featuring the 2014 winning entries
- Law Day winners news release
- ARAG Competition winners
- View photos of the 2013 winners and speakers.
- View the PowerPoint presentation featuring the 2013 winning entries.
- Download the news release.
- View photos of the 2012 winners and speakers
- View the PowerPoint presentation featuring the 2012 Law Day winning entries.
- Listen to “The Watchman’s Daugher,” music and lyrics by Samantha Greer
- View the PowerPoint presentation featuring the 2011 Law Day winning entries.
- View photos of the 2011 event.
If you are a teacher and would like to request a lawyer to speak to your class about Law Day, contact the PCBA.