Law Day

The Polk County Bar Association partners with ARAG each year to give Polk County area students a chance to get creative with the law as part of our annual Law Day celebration. Students in grades K through 12 are invited to compete in the visual arts, music, essay and poetry categories.

Law Day has been celebrated since 1958 when President Dwight Eisenhower signed the proclamation declaring it a day to celebrate and strengthen the American heritage of liberty, justice and equality under the law.

The American Bar Association chooses a theme for Law Day to help foster education and a deeper understanding of the legal system. This year’s theme, Separation of Powers: Framework for Freedom, enabled students to reflect on the interplay of our government’s three distinct and independent branches of government set out in the U.S. Constitution – Congress, the Presidency, and a Supreme Court.

All students in grades K-12 in the Polk County area are welcomed and encouraged to participate in the annual PCBA-ARAG contest. This year’s winning students, their teachers, and their parents were recognized at a luncheon and awards ceremony at the Judicial Branch Building on May 1.

If you are a teacher and would like to request a lawyer to speak to your class about Law Day, contact the PCBA.

Click here to view Past Law Day winners